A man facing a colonoscopy is very anxious..
I''m preparing to have a colonoscopy and am quite anxious and understand that you must be partially sedated. I had a very bad experience when I was anesthetized to have my tonsils removed at age eleven. Can you recommend a tape that might help?
We have a tape called Relaxed and Awake, which is for yucky medical procedures that you have to stay awake for. And even though you’ll be sedated, you will be awake for this. So this would be ideal, I think. The best protocol would be to listen to it several times before the procedure, and to then take it in with you and listen to it during it. And, by the way, i''ll betcha that this procedure will be a piece of cake compared to that tonsilectomy you had as a kid. Good luck!
Psychotherapist, author and guided imagery pioneer Belleruth Naparstek is the creator of the popular Health Journeys guided imagery audio series. Her latest book on imagery and posttraumatic stress, Invisible Heroes: Survivors of Trauma and How They Heal (Bantam Dell), won the Spirituality & Health Top 50 Books Award
Latest from Belleruth Naparstek
- Can Family Caregivers Really Get Help from Telemedicine?
- Can Guided Imagery Prevent MRI Panic in a Severely Claustrophobic Person?
- What Can Help with Severe Post-Election Anxiety?
- Coping with Post-Election Dysphoria; Being Stuck in an MRI Tube; and the Power of Telehealth to Support Family Caregivers...
- Sonja Speaks of Twenty Years Benefit from Guided Imagery