Effects of hypnosis on the immune system in breast cancer patients.
Both investigations’ findings yielded improvement in depression and a heightened count of natural killer (NK) cells after 2 months of the intervention. However, neither study determined the clinical significance of this for the actual impact on cancer. The author highlights the need for future experiments in order to relate the immune-mediated effects of hypnosis to hard clinical outcomes, such as actual survival rates.
Psychotherapist, author and guided imagery pioneer Belleruth Naparstek is the creator of the popular Health Journeys guided imagery audio series. Her latest book on imagery and posttraumatic stress, Invisible Heroes: Survivors of Trauma and How They Heal (Bantam Dell), won the Spirituality & Health Top 50 Books Award
Latest from Belleruth Naparstek
- Hypnotic Relaxation Improves Sexual Functioning in Postmenopausal Women
- Does It Matter if We Listen to Guided Imagery with Our Eyes Closed?
- Two New Books and a Conference on Kids Coming Up!
- Guided Imagery Gets Her Off Prescribed Meds, but Does So Much More
- Stress Management Program Reduces BMI, Depression, Anxiety in Overweight Kids