Fibromyalgia Sufferer Shares His Trial & Error Wellness Solutions
Over the years, through trial and error, I have found different methods to rely on, methods that increase my sense of self-agency and ease my painful symptoms. I do daily stretching exercises and get a therapeutic massage once a week. I am careful with my diet. I avoid caffeine, sugars and alcohol. These things have yielded the most relief for me.
I am now exploring meditation as another source of help. I have begun practicing Jon Kabat-Zinn’s mindfulness meditation and Sharon Saltzberg style loving kindness meditation. I also use Belleruth Naparstek’s guided imagery for Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue . I am hoping that in the weeks to come, my pain will be even more abated. It feels good to be taking charge of my health and exploring new methods. I feel I am discovering uncharted paths, within and without.
Psychotherapist, author and guided imagery pioneer Belleruth Naparstek is the creator of the popular Health Journeys guided imagery audio series. Her latest book on imagery and posttraumatic stress, Invisible Heroes: Survivors of Trauma and How They Heal (Bantam Dell), won the Spirituality & Health Top 50 Books Award
Latest from Belleruth Naparstek
- Imagining Specific Motor Activities Enhances Stroke Rehab of Upper & Lower Limbs
- Resilient Survivor of Traumatic Losses Asks Which Meditations to Use
- Guided Imagery Eliminated Her Son’s Night Terrors
- Hypnotic Relaxation Improves Sexual Functioning in Postmenopausal Women
- Does It Matter if We Listen to Guided Imagery with Our Eyes Closed?